here there is peace, and a short while for dreaming...

The snow has wrought a silence and a stillness which at first seems to sit uneasily with this busy time of preparation and creativity. There are cards and gifts to be delivered, supplies to be bought, errands to run, yet the ground outside is as uncompromisingly hard as iron and cold as ice. The freezing weather is its own master, and now ours too. Jobs must wait. Excess is stripped away. Everything is pared down to an essential skeleton. I rather like this, but then again, I am not spending my nights on an airport trolley, or waiting anxiously for the return of loved ones.

The weather brings a surprising mix of the necessary and the unexpected. For me, this afternoon, an unplanned but very welcome time of peace and quiet alone with the scent of the Christmas tree and a log fire, full of thankfulness for a mended boiler and for the hot water and warmth that it brings. Lemon-and-orange curd cooling in the kitchen, and jobs done, as far as I am able. Time to think and reflect and to wait expectantly for the winter solstice: deep in the freezing darkness of tomorrow night, when at last the earth will begin to turn and move towards the sun once more, and every day will be a few minutes longer than the last.

The craft market on Saturday was echoingly quiet, the snow keeping everyone at home. It was disappointing, but I have made sufficient sales this winter to fund my art materials for next year, which was my goal, and it is too easy to become greedy. I have a few items left over, however, so if anybody wants to buy a box of the paper and stitch bunting or a string of little linen birds, let me know, although I won't be able to get them to you for Christmas. The bunting is £8 and the birds are £14 which includes P&P to the UK.

11 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

Beautifully written - just what I had been thinking but your post is so much more eloquent than anything I could have said. We must all go with the flow this year as we are at the mercy of the weather although as you say it is easier to say when not sleeping in the airport or worrying about relatives out there in the snow.

Jane

Acornmoon said...

I have loved every second that I have spent here on your blog and my home is slowly filling up with little Mouse treasures! I know you will put your art materials to good use.

Have a wonderful Christmas.

A time to dance said...

WHat a beautiful post...I am feeling the same...you package your tems so beautifully they look lovely...

ljw said...

We have decided to embrace the weather, and rather than fretting about it I'm making time to admire the beauty the cold has created. Everything takes a little longer to do, but that's not a bad thing. I'm really looking forward to the winter solstice tomorrow as a time to celebrate moving on.

If only I could get our toilet unblocked everything would be perfect.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed what you said (although I was too busy to read it until today - says it all!) It was like my Thought For The Day. Thanks. Claire

JP said...

lovely post - sorry not to have got to the Whitworth on Saturday but the roads were chaos have a restful time

Ginny said...

What a beautiful post. Enjoy the silence of the snow and the warmth of the fire. Seems like you are having the winter we had last year.

I am so behind on shopping this year and sadly never did get to place an order. I am going to go browsing tonight, christmas eve eve, to pick up a little winter gift to myself.

Stay warm and happy!

Jackie said...

Well said. I too have of necessity stripped the excess away from my Christmas preparations and its made me think.
I'm sorry the weather kept people away from the Whitworth, it must have been disappointing. It seems you made enough sales to make it somewhat worthwhile.

rossichka said...

Hello, Sue! Just wanting to wish you lovely holidays and a Happy New Year, full of light, love, health and inspiration! I hope you've had a marvellous Christmas Eve with your family, amidst the cosiness of home and the snowy beauty outside!xx

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Just to say Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Carolyn x

silverpebble said...

Hello there, I hope you had a restful Christmas. I always find this time of year energising - we're heading towards lighter evenings and bulbs are popping up already. Phew!

I wondered if I could purchase some paper and stitch bunting if there is a box left? I am happy to pay by paypal or whatever means is easiest for you.

Happy New Year.