wrong side right side


This is the back of an embroidered bag* I've been making for my mum. I promised it to her at Christmas so it's a bit late, but it's in time for Mother's Day at least. I'm not showing the front as it's a surprise, but I couldn't help photographing the lovely messy 'wrong' side...

I am always drawn to the backs of things and often feel that there is more energy and life on the reverse of embroideries. I really want to introduce more freedom to my stitch work and drawings... I need to be brave.

Today has been a day of finishing off projects that have been waiting patiently for far too long. Not just the bag but also the binding on my baby patchwork quilt and some pink embroidery on a tiny tiny pair of jeans... this seems like as good a time as any to tell you that I am going to be a Grandma in six weeks' time...

I find this amazing and wonderful and incredible and frightening. I am going to have to be brave in many different ways...

*My Mum's bag is a special long-handled version of my Mouse Everyday Bag which you can find in the shop. There's only one left at the moment so be quick!

7 comments:

Hollypop's said...

I think you right about the back of embroideries, I feel like that about the reverse side of fabric sometimes - they can look more interesting.
Take care.
Nickyx

Anonymous said...

yes the back of work is always interesting as it show the construction... the process... i love the backs and undersides of flowers too as you can usually see such interesting details.
wow a grandmama... a young one i suspect... how very exciting.
have a lovely day,
ginny x

*Marie* said...

Yuhuu a Grandma and what a friendly and crafty one!!! Congratulations Sue!!! A very exciting chapter of your life begins:)
I guess I have a little bit time being one, cause today is my daughters 11th birthday !!!
I love your embroideries everyone is made with many toughts and love......
now I have to bake a cake for Selina, I wish you a wonderful weekend, filled with creative ideas:)..*Marie*

Gigibird said...

My Granny used to say that the back of the work showed how skilled the person was - the tidier the better.

I always look the the underside...

Your seams look very tidy;-)

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Being a grandma - how marvellous! I would have to say sadly that I think any embroidery that I did would always look like the back of yours.

Simone said...

Hello grandma-in-waiting! It is a good time to get all the creative work done now! I also need to be more free in my embroidery and in my painting but I am trying.

Frances said...

Hello Sue, how delightful that you are to be a grandmother. I will admit to doing a little double take ... Sue cannot possibly be a grandmother. And then I got my balance back and just want to send you and the parents-to-be all good wishes on this wonderful news.

Drifting off to embroidery. The photo is grand, and I also love to see the "wrong" side of any textile, as it is so telling of what was involved in creating the prime surface.

Let me interrupt the embroidery comment briefly to let you know that I am ten pages away from finishing the H.E. Bates book with the Tunnicliffe illustrations. It has been bliss to read this book and to slowly, slowly gain such insight into what it was to be In the Heart of the Country, season to season, fishing, skating, watching birds and blossoms, all the while being aware of bombers overhead.

I would never have found this book without having met you. Thank you so very much!

xo